DataLoad Community Forum Index DataLoad Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making {$LoadRowNum} even better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> DataLoad Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Making {$LoadRowNum} even better Reply with quote

Hi,
I want to commend you on the addition of the {$LoadRowNum} substitution present in the newest version of Dataload. I'm have a couple of suggestions to make it better...

What I would really like to do is substitute the value of another cell instead. I know that Dataload doesn't really have column number values, but if you were to create a Browser Control Name Tag of, say, {$Sub1}, {$Sub2}, etc for a column, then you could put {$SubValue1}, etc in where you currently put {$LoadRowNum}. That way I could start with whatever I need, and restart counting mid-load if I want to.

Barring that, Please note that many Oracle Forms (specifically in PIM Item Workbench), start with an ID Value of 0, while Dataload always starts with 1. This means I have to create separate columns for Value 0 of everything and that can be a maintenance pain. If you could make it so {$LoadRowNum} is adjustable between starting with 0 and 1, that'd be good.

The first idea is obviously more flexible and desirable, but either one will help make an invaluable product even more so.
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the positive feedback! We have also come across the issue with Oracle rows sometimes starting from 0 so we are planning to make this system of variables more flexible to accommodate this. Our current thinking is to add functionality to do one or both of the following:

1. Specify a start value for the variable and have DataLoad add 1 to that value for each additional row loaded.

2. Extend the current variables to allow the use of basic maths, e.g. {$LoadRowNum - 1} would mean the actual number used would be 1 less than the number of the record being loaded.

Either approach solves the problem of Oracle's records sometimes starting at 1 and sometimes at 0. The second idea is more flexible but also more complex to implement.

Let me know if you think either of those meets your requirements.

Thanks,

Jonathan Stuart
Kevman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would both work, indeed. A variant of the first idea that would also be really cool would be a Dataload command to set/reset the variable to a different value. Like you could throw "*SetRowLoadNum(0)" in a cell. The result would be even more flexible than your second idea and will probably be easier for you implement than trying to parse math expressions.
DataLoad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if we can avoid parsing maths expressions then that would be good! I like your variation on our first option.

What I am thinking about now is whether we allow the $LoadRowNum & $RowNum variables to be changed to have a different starting value or whether we provide functionality so new user-specified variables can be used. Again, a bit more work but I am concerned as to whether it makes sense to change the values of $LoadRowNum & $RowNum given that they have specific meanings, i.e. referring to the number of the current row. Maybe I am just thinking about this too much! If we add custom variables then we could define them in a cell as follows:

*SetVariable($MyRowNum, 0)

Jonathan
Kevman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying, but would I have to increment the user variables on every row, then? I suppose that's no biggie.
Ivan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I wonder if you have found a solution for this issue. I need to load data using Browser Control function to Ebusiness Suite, iPayements module. Fields are created dynamically and using dynamic IDs starting from 0. I would appreciate any response. Thank You. Ivan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DataLoad Community Forum Index -> DataLoad Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: